Established in 1993, the SBM Association is a dynamic and professional organisation that offers support and representation for staff who perform the Finance, Property, HR and Administration functions in New Zealand Schools.
The organisation understands the complexities of the school business manager role, facilitates collegial interaction, provides professional and personal growth opportunities and contributes to the on-going development of education within New Zealand schools.
To provide leadership, collaboration and innovative opportunities for members, to ensure excellence in school business management, ultimately enhancing effective teaching and learning outcomes in New Zealand schools.
- Championing transparency, integrity and accountability
- Prioritising members’ needs and expectations
- Encouraging innovative thinking and solutions
- Promoting community and collaboration
- Striving for and promoting business excellence
- Embracing and respecting diversity
- Commitment to financial sustainability
Key Strategic Goals
- Leadership Development – To provide unique opportunities that enhance the leadership skills of school business managers.
- Professional Learning and Development – To provide dynamic, accessible, relevant and, affordable professional development and learning opportunities to enhance the skills of members. We are also working towards certification to enhance the credibility of the profession.
- Membership Engagement – To retain and grow our Association through relevant membership engagement. We have increased membership options in 2019 via an Associate category.
- Advocacy / Representation – Legislative and Regulation – We aim to be recognised as the leading authority for information and influence on national, legislative and regulatory issues affecting school business in New Zealand. Representation on most relevant Ministry Governance groups is ongoing.
We are a strong, growing Association with a rich history in New Zealand that is recognised for the value we bring to the education sector by our members, school principals, partners and sponsors, the Ministry of Education and other stakeholders.
The Association has international relationships with ASBO International (Association of School Business Officials International)), Deakin University and a number of similar SBM organisations in Australia, Canada, South Africa and the UK. These links offer a global perspective for our members.
The National Executive Committee (NEC)
The NEC consists of dedicated and passionate colleagues who are committed to ‘making a difference’, future-focused, and provide sustainable support and professional development for members. The (NEC) represents School Business Managers on a wide array of Advisory and Working Groups including: Education Workforce Strategy Governance Group; Education Finance and Kiwipark Reference Group; Education Payroll Sector Leaders; School Property Reference Group etc. We also have effective relationships with the Ministry of Education and other key stakeholders including: NZEI, NZPF, NZSTA and SPANZ among others.
Our main professional development is an annual conference, providing an opportunity to connect with colleagues, interact with world class speakers and discuss current issues. Other professional development occurs throughout the year, with meetings held by the 9 Regional Delegates each term. Some regions also offer a ‘buddy-system’, email trees and other supportive programmes.